Chicago is a popular city that millions of leisure travelers love to visit each year. There are so many exciting attractions to see. Some of the city’s culture consists of visual arts, theater, comedy, jazz, blues, house music and professional sports teams. Chicago, mainly referred to as the “windy city” and the “second city” is a great place to visit during all seasons of the year. If you are traveling to Chicago during the winter months, you will need to pack the right clothes. Knowing what to pack for a trip to Chicago in winters will help to save you time and energy.
Weather in Chicago during winter months
Located in northeastern Illinois on the south western shores of Lake Michigan, Chicago’s winters are cold and snowy with only a few sunny days. Cold weather in Chicago is inevitable. The normal high in January is usually below freezing. According to online sources, the city is known to have extreme winter cold waves that last for several days.
What clothes to Pack for a trip to Chicao during winters
- Winter Coat – Keep in mind that Chicago is referred to as the windy city and pack all the warm clothes that you will need to keep you comfortable. For a blistery weather, men will need to bring along a warm coat.
- Heavy Sweaters – You will have a better time enjoying your destination wearing warm, heavy sweaters to keep your body warm.
- Wool – Wool is a fabric that is natural and versatile. Wool socks, sweaters, and caps area ideal to retain your body temperature in cold weather.
- Insulated Boots – To save space, bring at least two pairs of winter boots. Dark, weatherproof boots can be worn through snow, sleet and other harsh weather conditions. Wear one pair to free up space in your luggage for other items.
Water back pack – For your carryon luggage, choose a water backpack. Throughout your trip, ward off stressful headaches and dehydration by drinking water. Drinking water while you travel is a good way to keep you hydrated and healthy.
- Insulating Layers – Base insulating layers are easy to pack and most importantly, they don’t take up too much room in a suitcase. These may consist of thermal underwear, long johns and shirts. Beneath your warm sweater, these base layers will keep you warm and cozy while you are in the city of Chicago.
- Accessories – Traveling can be a challenge if you don’t have the right winter gear. Essential accessories such as gloves, scarves and hats will help you and your family brave the cold weather. You can also choose to wear these winter gear to save space in your suitcase.
- Moisturizer – In a blistering winter weather, you will need to moisturizer for sunburns. In your handbag, bring enough for the entire family.
- Hair Dryer – A hair dryer is convenient for women with long hair. Instead of walking around with wet hair in Chicago, a compact hair dryer will be handy when you step out of the shower.
- Hygiene Products – Determine how many weeks you will be away on your winter vacation. Pack the necessary products that you need such as sanitary napkins, deodorant, and shaving cream.
- Healthy Snacks – Natural fruit snacks are healthy and delicious for kids. Avoid choosing dried fruit snacks with excessive sugar, sodium, and other harmful ingredients. Bring along fruit snacks that are sugar-free and natural.
Some of these are nuts, dried berries, pineapple dried fruit, fig fruit bars and anchovies. Kids will love to munch on these on their winter getaway.
- Music – Depending on how long it will take you to reach your destination, kids will get bored from traveling for many hours. Think about the best entertaining ideas and creative activities for them. The internet is loaded with free music that you can download to keep kids entertained while they are traveling.
- Toys – On long trips, stuffed toys make ideal traveling companions for kids. These do not take up too much room and they are easy to pack in your luggage.
What other essential things to bring to Chicago
- Travel Documents – Make sure you have all the required travel documents. Create a travel checklist to ensure that you have the necessary documents. These may consist of passports, IDs, tickets, driver license and other vital documents.
- Tissues/Handerkerchiefs – In winter weather, there is always a need for tissues or handkerchiefs for a runny nose or if you have to sneeze. Pack several of these for kids.
- Pain Medication – Regardless of how healthy you are, you may need to bring along pain medication for your trip. Bring along your best pain reliever to ensure that you are pain-free during your trip to the windy city.
- Emergency Kits – You should always be prepared in case there is an emergency whether you are at home or traveling to another city. An emergency kit will give you a better peace of mind.
Whether you are traveling by plane or car, you want to avoid over packing. There is no need to struggle with a lot of luggage when you can simply pack the essentials you need for your trip.